Strunina Natal'ya Vyacheslavovna, Senior lecturer, sub-department of English language, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. Currently, the economic society is experiencing high demand for qualified professionals with higher education capable to communicate by means of a foreign language. The formed sociocultural competency allows graduates to ensure the successful activities in society. The purpose of the work is to describe the elements of professional competence and to consider possibilities of the subject «Foreign language» to form the future engineers’ socio-cultural competency.
Materials and methods. Realization of research objectives was achieved through the usage of such theoretical methods of investigation as analysis, comparison and synthesis. The methodological basis of the research included the concept of competency-based approach, the communicative approach in teaching foreign languages, as well as student-centered approach.
Results. The genesis of the terms «competency» and «competence» was expounded, and various interpretations of the given categories within the bounds of sociology, pedagogy, linguistics, psychology were analyzed. Means of socio-cultural competency development in teaching foreign language to engineers at higher school were investigated.
Conclusions. Forming socio-cultural competency as an element of professional competence is based on the specific content of teaching foreign language to engineers at higher school. Investigation of competence forming resources allows to determine new directions of subsequent study of the scientific problem under consideration.
competency, competence, competence-based approach, professional competence, social and cultural competency.
1. Kontseptsiya modernizatsii rossiyskogo obrazovaniya na period do 2010 g. : utv. prikazom Minobrazovaniya RF ot 11 fevralya 2002 g. № 393. Informatsionno-poiskovaya sistema «Garant» [Conception of modernization of Russian education for the period up to 2010L approved by the order of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation fro 11 February 2002 № 393. Information searching system “Garant”].
2. Khomskiy N. Yazyk i myshlenie. Yazyk i problemy znaniya. Per. s angl. B. Gorodetskogo, I. Kobozevoy [Language and thinking. Language and problems of knowledge. Translated from English by B. Gorodetsky, I. Kobozeva]. Blagoveshchensk, 1999.
3. Zimnyaya I. A. Inostrannye yazyki v shkole [Foreign languages in school]. 2012, no. 6, pp. 2–10.
4. Choshanov M. A. Gibkaya tekhnologiya problemno-modul'nogo obucheniya: metod. posobie [Flexible technology of problem-modular education: methodological guide]. Moscow: Narodnoe obrazovanie,1996,160 p.
5. Baydenko V. I. Vyyavlenie sostava kompetentsiy vypusknikov vuzov kak neobkhodimyy etap proektirovaniya GOS VPO novogo pokoleniya [Revealing the composition of competences of university graduates as a necessary stage of modeling a new generation of higher education state standards]. Moscow, 2006, 55 p.
6. Zimnyaya I. A. Klyuchevye kompetentnosti kak rezul'tativno-tselevaya osnova kompetentnostnogo podkhoda v obrazovanii [Key competences as aresult-target base of competence approach to education]. Issled. tsentr problem kachestva podgotovki spetsialistov. Moscow, 2004.
7. Zeer E. F. Psikhologiya professiy: ucheb. posobie dlya studentov vuzov [Psychology of profession: tutorial for university students]. Moscow: Akademicheskiy proekt ; Ekaterinburg: Delovaya kniga, 2003, 336 p.
8. Bim I. L. Inostrannye yazyki v shkole [Foreign languages in school]. 2002, no. 2, pp. 11–15.
9. Vorob'ev G. A. Inostrannye yazyki v shkole [Foreign languages in school]. 2003, no. 2, pp. 30–35.
10. Vereshchagin E. M., Kostomarov V. G. Lingvostranovedcheskaya teoriya slova [Linguistic-country-specific theory of the word]. Moscow: Russkiy yazyk, 1980, 345 p.
11. Ratnitsyna D. V., Polukarov V. V. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Povolzhskiy region. Gumanitarnye nauki [University proceedings. Volga region. Humanities]. 2012, no. 4 (24), pp. 124–133.